This past winter seemed to never end, right? We had freezing temperatures well into April and just when the first tiny signs of spring peeked up from the frozen ground … they were blanketed with even more snow.
Finally after months and months of bundling up or hiding under an umbrella trying to dodge a spring downpour, it seems like we just might be on the sunny side of things. That, of course, calls for kids in the sprinkler, burgers on the grill and friends on your patio. Lucky for all of you, we love summer cookout food. Here’s just a couple of our easy go-to recipes:
“Doddy Burgers” – Em babysat two little girls (who are sadly not so little anymore) who’s Grandpa made the best burgers in town. They’ve been a staple ever since.
For each pound of ground beef:
· 1 egg
· ½ c. bread crumbs
· 2 teaspoons dried minced onions
· ½ t. Worchestershire sauce
· 1 Tablespoon bacon bits
· 1 T. Parmesean cheese
· ½ t. salt
· ¼ t.pepper
Emily’s Pesto Turkey Burgers – This recipe was a result of a trip to the grocery where Em, as usual, forgot half of what she went in for. Upon returning home and realizing she still needed to make dinner, she threw together what she had in her pantry and out came these tasty little turkey burgers.
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- half jar of pesto
- teaspoon minced garlic
- 1-2 cups italian bread crumbs (add until burgers stick together)
- 2 eggs
- Grill until cooked through
- In the winter/rain we make these in a skillet with a little olive oil and they get deliciously crunchy on the outside.
Watermelon & Feta – the perfect pairing of savory and sweet.
- 1 large watermelon + 1 container of feta cheese
- mix together
Aunt Jan’s Potato Salad – Nothing is better than Aunt Jan’s Potato Salad. So simple, but will draw you in for seconds … maybe thirds, too.
- boil 1 lb potatoes until tender throughout
- peel off skin after cooked
- add mayo, hard boiled egg, celery, sugar and salt to taste.